Legacy Grant Writing Webinar & Digital 1:1 Sign-ups
The Stanford Nurse Alumnae Legacy Grants, awarded in two cycles per year, support innovative research and demonstration projects that improve health care outcomes, the patient experience, and health system efficiency.
The Office of Research (SHC), and Department of Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice (SCH), in collaboration with the Stanford Nurse Alumnae, offer a complimentary grant writing webinar course that will provide the essential requirements and steps to complete a successful Legacy Grant application. The workshop will introduce learners to the Legacy Committee members who review grant applications and provide an overview of expectations, how grants are reviewed and scored, and common mistakes to avoid. By the end of the webinar course, learners will be able to:
- identify the aim or purpose of a research project,
- identify the variables to measure change and methods for research,
- create a budget and timeline, and
- apply this knowledge to writing a complete grant application.
The target audience for this workshop are all professionals with a nursing degree interested in applying for grant funding with a developed clinical inquiry. Contact hours are available for attendees as well. Note that this course is available to SHC/SCH nurses only.
- Identify items which should be included in writing a research grant.
- Describe 3 common mistakes to avoid.
- Discuss major topic areas in Legacy Grant applications.
- Discuss different approaches/methods to answer the research question.
- How to create a realistic budget.
- How to create a realistic timeline.
- How to format references.
- Write a complete draft application for Legacy Grant.
- Explain the major steps to writing a Legacy Grant application.
- List resources to complete a literature review at Stanford.
The course faculty will also provide individual support in one-on-one virtual meetings immediately following the webinar course. If you’d like to sign-up for an available time slot for a digital 1:1 meeting, space is limited—sign-up today! Digital 1:1 Meeting Sign-Up
Preparation for 1:1 Digital Sign-Ups: Download the Legacy Grant application and begin considering the questions being asked to facilitate the discussion with our nurse scientists. (not required but very helpful).
Date: Thursday, April 9, 2020
Webinar: 9:00am – 10:30am
Fees: None – Course is complimentary
For SHC and SCH employees, click on the registration link: Register Here.
If you are unable to attend or the course has reached capacity, the webinar will be recorded and available for viewing here.
If you’d like to read a previously published article about Legacy Grants, you can view the Tips to Write a Successful Legacy Grant link.
Stanford Health Care employees: You will need to login with your SID and password.
Stanford Children’s Health employees: You will need to create a login and password.
Mary E. Lough PhD, RN, CCNS, FCCM, FAHA, FCNS, FAAN, SHC
Monique Bouvier PhD, RN, PNP-BC, SHC
Annette S. Nasr PhD, RN, SCH
Stanford Nurse Alumnae Instructors:
Julie Shinn, Vice President
Patricia Sparacino, Treasurer
The Legacy Grant is generously funded by the Stanford Nurse Alumnae (SNA). SNA serves as a liaison between nurse alumnae of the Stanford University School of Nursing (1895-1974), Stanford University alumnae who have earned a baccalaureate degree in nursing at another institution and/or an advanced degree, and Stanford University to perpetuate Stanford University School of Nursing’s traditions of nursing excellence in clinical care, education, leadership, and research.
Article By: Sana Younus